Eating out is fun, but it can take a huge bite out of your wallet.
By: Alive Credit Union
Restaurants generally mark-up the cost of entrees over 300% just to cover their overhead. For a family of four, the cost to eat out can be over $50. Add drinks and a tip and the cost is over $70. By making your favorite restaurant dishes at home, you and your family can enjoy them for a fraction of the cost.
For instance, Applebee’s charges about $11.50 per serving for its delicious Fiesta Lime Chicken. If you make this in your own kitchen, the price shrinks to $1.40 per serving!
The chicken needs to marinate for minimum of two hours, but cooking takes 15 mins. You can prepare the marinade the night before and put the chicken in it so it’s ready to cook the following day. This recipe serves four. (Source: Food.com)
- Whisk together the first 8 ingredients, coat chicken in mixture, and marinade for at least 2 hours.
- Whisk together the next 9 ingredients, cover, and chill until needed.
- Grill the marinated chicken breasts for 3-5 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Discard marinade.
- Brush grilled chicken with reserved dressing, sprinkle with cheese, and broil until cheese has melted.
- Serve the chicken over a bed of crumbled chips.
To find other recipes for your favorite restaurant dishes, go to www.food.com and search for “copycat.”